Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rabid Wolf Spider

Despite the name they are no more dangerous than normal wolf spiders. Oh, how lovely that is to know because you don't want to be bitten by any wolf spider. They won't kill you, but it's definitely painful and nasty. The good news is Wolf Spiders are non-aggressive, they will generally only bite under severe provocation.
The Rabid variety is nice and big; the bodies are an average of an inch long. When all stretched out it was a good 2.5-2.75 inches long. Wolf spiders have thick, long, non-hairy legs that get darker near the ends and smooth bodies. This particular one is female as you can see the egg sack she's carrying. Wolf spiders carry their egg sacks with them attached to their spinnerets, and the babies on the mother's abdomen (it looks like someone shredded cotton, mashed it back together and glued it to the back).
Rabids are distinctive in their patterns. Their cephalothoraxes (think "heads") are the same grey as their legs with two dark brown stripes on the top. Their abdomens are grey on the bottom topped with a dark brown stripe lined with yellow or light brown stripes. The yellow stripes have little feelers feeling into the dark brown.

They're normally found on the ground, or low down, as they hunt their prey without the use of a web.

Reading up on wolf spiders makes me think that's the kind I flipped out over my first week here as it charged right by my foot into the house. Never having seen a spider that big in the wild before I had a freak out and made N kill it for me.
I should've known better, I normally treat spiders so well, but it was such a Honey-I-Blew-Up-The-Spider type of thing to me I couldn't help myself and screamed like a little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment