Monday, September 21, 2009

American Elm

From the name I'm sure you can gather that these are not regional only trees, they're found all over the eastern half of the 48 states and even into Canada. I am already familiar with these trees. The funny thing is I've had a hard time believing that that's what they were at first because every specimen I've found has been so, well, short. They don't have a real problem with Dutch Elm Disease down here, so I guess they're just short. Undiseased Elms can grow up to 90 feet, but I haven't seen any over 40 and most of them are around 30 feet.

As you can see the leaves are simple, alternate, doubly serrated, ovular, pointy at the end, neat and even veins, and a base that is very uneven (one side starting a good 1/4 inch before the other). What you can't see is that the leaves are between 3-5 inches, very smooth on top but with raised veins on the back.
The seeds look like an itty-bitty, round, green, ravioli. They're 1/2 to 3/4 inches in diameter and flat with a little bumpy seed in the middle.
The bark is a dark grey with shallow, mostly vertical, crevices. Elm's have outer bark that is very easy to break off in places. If you do pull off a piece cleanly it'll be vaguely diamond or rectangular shaped. The twigs, though, have a slightly reddish tint to them.
According to the words of Wikipedia the flowers are small and purple-brown.

Even though I didn't have my camera with me, I knew enough about the tree to know it was perfectly safe to touch. I know that sounds silly, but from I hail from there be Poison Sumac... arrr.
(I don't want to change that, but I thought I should note that this was written on Talk Like a Pirate Day... I just had to delay posting for other, already written, posts)

I've been told there's also Cedar (or Texas) Elm around here, but their leaves are 3-5 centimeters instead of 3-5 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment