Sunday, September 13, 2009

Cicada

I have a pretty solid stomach, but one thing that never fails to make me feel disgusted and twitchy is the sight of a living cicada, or a husk for that matter. I'm not quite sure why, but my utter loathing of them has the side effect of always knowing when I'm looking at one.
The thing that struck me the most as I peered at this nauseatingly alive specimen through the ultra zoom on my camera was how much more colorful these nasty little things were than their Northern counterparts. The green, brown, and black cicadas are of the Tibicen genus. But this one is the Tibicen resh as opposed to the common Northern Dogday cicada (Tibicen canicularis).
An American cicada is normally around an inch (sometimes a little more) long when full grown and are very thick bugs, being that their width is about a 1/3 of their length. They have large, wideset, compound eyes, and if you want to get close enough to look they have three tiny simple eyes in between their big ones. They have very short antenna, and their exoskeletons look tough, like armor. They have two sets of membranous (read: like clear stained glass) wings, the forewings are the much larger pair - so long that while they're at rest they reach past the end of the abdomen between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch.
This particular kind has a prevalently olive green head and thorax with a dark abdomen. Since they're such stubby creatures I can't exactly tell where the head ends and the thorax begins, but there's an upside-down green "v" on the back. The Dogday cicada has a "w" shape and a mostly brown head/thorax.

Hopefully you never have to see one, but only hear their distinctive mating call that sounds halfway between a rainstick and a squeaky swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment