Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gecko

A Mediterranean House Gecko to be precise, and a fairly young one to boot.
I went to close my kitchen windows when... boing! this little thing jumped onto the screen. Far from being surprised I grabbed a jar and the baby and ran outside intent on being able to positively identify one of the lizards I've seen. It was by far the easiest wild animal capture I've ever made. I just snuck up and quickly encircled him (or her, I can't tell) and waited until he ran into the jar. I waited and waited and waited. Thank goodness for interior feline assistance that sent this little booger running around, I can not believe how fast he could run. Next I brought him inside to put him in a slightly larger, more photograph friendly, jar. In the second it took to place one jar into the other and cover the larger one, he nearly got out. I may not mind looking at lizards, but I will not stand for one loose in my house. He was intently watched for a little less than an hour and then released to his original place of origin.

As the name suggests, they are not native. They are flourishing though. These Geckos are nocturnal and may be spotted sitting on buildings nearby a light source just waiting for moths and other insects to eats.
Adults can grow to 5 inches long (this one was about 2) and they have flattish heads. The easiest means of identification are these three things:
1) The semi-translucent pale skin. On their heads you can see darker areas behind the eyes that's actually the eye, and if you get a look at the stomach you can see shadows of their organs.
2) The warty back. Each of those little dots is a bump, and they generally get more pronouced as they age.
3) The striped tail. Black rings down it's tail, even though the back is spotty.

And that's a Gecko for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment