Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Broomweed

I can't really find out much about Broomweed. Most of what I know is that, by comparing pictures, that's the only thing I can find that it could be. It's frequently a roadside plant, but can grow anywhere. Broomweed's natural range is mostly from Tennesee to Nebraska and anything south of that line.
The name "broomweed" originally both from the fact that it looks much like an upside down broom end and that early settlers used the dried plant as a broom end.
Broomweed grows up to 3 feet high and is less bushy around the bottom while getting very full and heavily branched at the top. There are many small stems and thin leaves. The blooms can be seen July through October, and the flowers are a big help in identifying it. The flowers may look like they have differing numbers of petals but really each flower is made up of up to 20 ray flowers and many disc flowers (think Sunflowers, dandelions, etc.).* They are yellow and between 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch wide.
Sadly, that is the extent of the information I could find both in library books and online (even after I knew what it was called). So while I'm fairly sure as to what it is the lack of availability of a proper description and photograph could mean I missed something.
Actually what's more frustrating is this one short post took me so long to research and write it took two days worth of allotted blogging time.


*This link will explain about composite flowers very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment