Sunday, October 4, 2009

Chittamwood

I've walked by this particular tree every day and I've never really looked at it before. Actually, before it sprouted tons of little black fruits I found it so high I didn't even bother to see that it wasn't part of the oak in front of it.
I think this tree has the most names of any tree I've come by so far. False Buckthorn, Gum Bully, Gum-Elastic, and Ironwood to name only a few. But whatever you call this Sunbelt* plant, it's definitely interesting.
It's a shrub or small tree, from my experience not getting above 40 feet (although, apparently, it can get up to 80 feet).
The leaves are Obovate (which means they're bigger at the tip than the base), 2-4 inches long, slightly curved up, smooth edged, dark green, and shiny. They're simple leaves and they technically grow alternately - but they look more like they're clumped into groups of 5-10 leaves.
The fruit, as you can see, is black, small (no more than 1 inch), and shiny. They typically grow in clusters and have short stems connecting them to the branches - kind of like apples. The flowers they come from are five-petaled, white, and grow in clusters. The flowers show in summer and the fruit in fall.Some of these have a smattering of little spinies on the stems, but if you can't reach them anyway there's no point in worrying. Hopefully you can see this in the picture; the bark is dark but it has shallow crevices that show redness underneath.
Certain subspecies of Chittamwood have fruits that make great jelly (according to the awesome book I previously mentioned), but some of them can cause mild stomach upset. So I would suggest not bothering.

*I learned a new term. "Sunbelt states" refers to the southern states, east and west alike. It's just a stripe along the bottom border of the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment